International Students | Study Abroad | Yale University
Study Abroad Summer Session MyCIPE

International Students

You are here

International Students Abroad

International students at Yale can (and do!) study abroad in a location outside the U.S. or their home country. You can use study abroad as an opportunity to gain yet another cultural and academic perspective of your undergraduate education. 

Note:If you are considering a study abroad experience, please be sure to meet with your designated Office of International Students & Scholars (OISS) adviser to discuss how to maintain your U.S. immigration status and any additional steps you might need to take for immigration compliance.

Questions to Consider

FAQ: What should I do if my F-1 visa has expired or will expire soon?

  • Please make sure to check the expiration date of your F-1 visa by looking at the visa stamp in your passport. Your visa must be valid at the very least until the date you plan to re-enter the U.S. after your study abroad program.
  • Please note that if you plan to study abroad in the European Union and need a Schengen visa to enter the country where you will study, your F-1 visa must be valid beyond the duration of your study abroad program. If your F-1 visa has already expired or will expire before the end of your study abroad program, you need to make plans to renew your F-1 visa before you apply for the Schengen visa. Please remember that you cannot apply for an F-1 visa in the U.S., so you need to make plans to renew your F-1 visa outside the U.S. before you apply for the Schengen visa.
  • Canadian citizens do not need a visa to enter the U.S., but please still make sure that you will have a valid travel signature on your I-20 for your return to the U.S.

FAQ: Will I need a visa to study in my intended host country?

  • Depending on your citizenship, you may need to apply for a student visa to enter your study abroad country. You should research visa requirements before choosing a program and be sure to submit your study abroad applications early.
  • Make plans for all countries you will visit. You may need to apply for “transit visas” to pass through countries on the way to your study abroad destination. Additionally, be sure to research visas if you plan to travel to multiple countries during your study abroad. 
  • If you would like to use a third party service instead of going to the embassy or consulate in person, one option might be to use CIBT Visas. Students can log in with the Yale account number (40634) to get the Yale discount. Confirm with CIBT that, based on your immigration status, you are eligible to use a third party service and do not need to apply for the visa in person. If you use CIBT, we recommend that you use their online (instead of paper) application and use your own shipping label to avoid unnecessary costs.

FAQ: What will I need for re-entry to the U.S.?

Review detailed information about re-entry requirements on the OISS website.

FAQ: Is it possible to study "abroad" in my home country?

Yes. You can work with our office to apply to spend a summer, semester, or year studying at an institution in your home country.


Question: Do you have additional resources to share? If so, we'd love to hear from you.