FAQs | Study Abroad | Yale University
Study Abroad Summer Session MyCIPE


You are here

Below are frequently asked questions about Yale Study Abroad. These answers pertain to undergraduates wishing to study abroad and earn credit towards their Yale degree on a academic program during the semester, academic year, or summer.

FAQ: When can I study abroad?

The best time to study abroad depends on you! We encourage you to read our website, consider your goals, review when required major courses are offered by your academic department, and think about other commitments you have. You can also connect with other Yalies who have studied abroad and explore our searchable database of programs to review the program options.

You may study abroad during any of the following terms:

  • Summer after first, sophomore, or junior year
  • Second semester of sophomore year
  • First or second semester of junior year
  • Your entire junior year
  • As a senior, the only program you can attend is the spring semester Yale in London program run by the Yale Center for British Arts.

You may also study abroad for multiple terms (for example, summer + fall, spring + summer, or fall + spring).

Students receiving Yale financial aid can transfer their aid to a semester abroad and may request the International Study Award, if eligible, for a summer abroad.

FAQ: Where can I study abroad?

To get a sense of the programs that are available and in which countries, explore our searchable program database.

Things you might want to think about when deciding where and when to study include:

  • your goals for your experience (language acquisition, specialized courses, or hands-on research opportunities)
  • what kind of environment you want (large university or study center? Small town or big city?)
  • your identity (race, religion, LGBTQIA+, disability, etc.)
  • how much structure or support you want from your program

For more advice and ideas on choosing a destination and program, visit the How to Choose a Program page.

FAQ: How much does it cost to study abroad?

The cost for study abroad programs vary. It depends mostly on what the program charges for tuition and other fees, and the currency exchange rate. Sometimes studying abroad for a semester can be cheaper than attending Yale! There are different considerations for semester study abroad and summer study abroad. We are committed to helping you understand what it costs to study abroad. You can check out our Can I Afford it? page to learn more about how financial aid works when studying abroad during the year or term and applying for fellowships or outside scholarships.

FAQ: What type of study abroad program is right for me?

There are several different types of study abroad programs. Depending on your academic and personal goals for the experience, you might find that a certain program structure is better suited to your personality and interests. Explore the options, such as study center, direct enrollment, hybrid or field-based in the “program structures” section of the How to Choose a Program page.

FAQ: Can students from any major study abroad?

Yes! Students from a variety of majors can study abroad and it is definitely not limited to students who are exclusively studying languages at Yale. You can choose programs where you study something related to your major or choose to go abroad to specifically focus on something particular to the place where you would like to study. Visit our Study Abroad Student Spotlights to meet some Yalies who have already gone abroad and what they studied!

FAQ: Am I pre-approved to study abroad if I found the program in the searchable database?

Just because a program is listed in our program database doesn’t mean you are automatically approved to study abroad. There is a two-part application process for Year or Term Abroad programs and Non-Yale Summer programs. The two-part application process includes applying to both Yale Study Abroad for approval to study abroad and transfer the credit back to Yale and applying for admission to your intended program through their website. Make sure you check the deadlines for each process!

For the Yale Summer Session Programs Abroad and the Balliol Junior Year Abroad program, it is a single application to fill out.

FAQ: Can I apply for both a Yale Summer Session (YSS) Program Abroad and a Non-Yale Summer program?

Yes, in fact we encourage you to apply for both options. They have separate applications and you are allowed to submit both.

If you want to apply for a YSS Program Abroad, you may choose one YSS program in the application. YSS Programs Abroad have a single online application. We encourage you to choose and apply to a Non-Yale Summer program as a backup and fill out the Non-Yale Summer Abroad application. Applying to a non-Yale program is a two-part application process and would also require you to apply directly to the program through the program’s website.

FAQ: What if I find a program that I want to go on, but it is not in the “search programs” database?

You can petition to do a program not in Yale’s searchable database for the Year or Term or a Non-Yale Summer program. After you review the petition requirements, we suggest that you connect with the relevant study abroad adviser (we advise by region) before you submit your petition application so an adviser can review the program too to see if it would be eligible for approval and transfer credit. We wouldn’t want you to be disappointed and not have a back up plan if you intend to study abroad and the program you'd like to petition for is not eligible.

FAQ: Can I still apply for study abroad if I missed the deadline to apply?

Unfortunately, if you missed the deadline, there are no exceptions for a late application.

It’s important that you plan in advance and hold yourself accountable to meeting and remembering the deadline. If you miss a deadline, we encourage you to apply to study abroad in a future semester or summer.

FAQ: How does earning credit work from a study abroad program?

The type of credit you earn depends on what type of study abroad program you attend. Students earn transfer credit for successful completion of a Year or Term Abroad program or a Non-Yale Summer program. Students who attend a Yale Summer Session Program Abroad earn Yale credit.

FAQ: Can I study abroad if I’m an international student here at Yale on a visa?

International students at Yale are welcome to study abroad outside the U.S., including in their home country. Learn more about visa considerations and stay in touch with OISS about your U.S. visa.

FAQ: How do I get a form that my program requires filled out?

Study Abroad advisers can fill out a form for you. We advise by region, so you should email the form to the adviser for that program.

To find out who the correct adviser is, you can either search for the program in the program database (click on the program name and look for “Yale Study Abroad Adviser”) or you can look on the Study Abroad Advising by Region page for the region and name of the adviser.

FAQ: How do I know if I'm ready to take all of my courses in the host country language?

While it might seem daunting to take all of your courses in the host country language, if you’re at the L4 level and especially at the L5 level, you should be prepared to take all or most of your courses in the host country language. You can also talk with a Study Abroad Adviser and get advice from the language department too about your concerns and questions!

FAQ: Can I arrive at a program late or leave early?

You should plan to arrive to your program on time and depart when it is officially over. All programs have their dates listed on their website. Before making a commitment to a program, make sure you know the start and end dates. Also consider how long it will take you to travel to and from the location and when you have personal commitments.

FAQ: Can I live in my own housing while studying abroad?

For Year or Term Abroad and Non-Yale Summer programs: we require students to live in program-arranged housing when it is provided. Our policy only allows for students to live in independent housing if they have a family member willing to host them or if the program is unable to find suitable housing when a student has severe allergies, dietary restrictions, or religious practices that cannot be accommodated. In those cases, the student needs to go through our office for an exception, agree to outlined risks, and be approved. Some programs do not allow students to live in their own arranged housing and in those cases, they must live in program provided housing. We do not permit students to live in independently arranged housing when a group wants to live together.

For Yale Summer Session Programs Abroad: students are required to live in the program provided housing.

FAQ: What should I do to prepare for my study abroad experience?

Review the “Before you Go” sections for Year or Term, Non-Yale Summer, and YSS Programs Abroad.  Visit our Resources section too! You can access information about what to do in an emergency abroad, travel planning, health and safety, DEIB, and cross-cultural engagement. There is also a section for your family.

You should also receive important information directly from your program to help you prepare for your program. Keep an eye on your emails!

Remember, your study abroad adviser is still available to answer your questions while you are abroad and when you return, so please don’t hesitate to ask us.

If you have additional questions, please review our website first, make an appointment with an adviser, or contact us.