Petition for Credit: Year or Term Program not on Yale's Designated List | Study Abroad | Yale University
Career Strategy Fellowships Study Abroad Summer Session MyCIPE

Petition for Credit: Year or Term Program not on Yale's Designated List

You are here

Petition Process for a Year or Term Abroad

We encourage you to begin your program search by reviewing the programs on Yale's designated list. However, if you cannot find a program that is a good match for your goals and interests, you can petition for approval to attend a program not already designated by Yale. If your petition is approved, you will be eligible to earn full credit transfer and, if applicable, use your financial aid.

TOC: Petition Process

How do I know if a program is eligible for a petition?

Programs must meet these minimum eligibility requirements:

  • ​The program will issue an official transcript with course title(s), grade(s), and credit(s) from an accredited university.
  • The location of the study abroad program is not restricted by the Yale Travel Policy.
  • Courses offered by the program meet Yale's credit transfer policies.
  • If the language of instruction does not comply with the Yale Study Abroad language policy, the theme and core courses of the program must align with your major. If you do not have a background in the host language, you should also be able to articulate your strategies for communicating and engaging with the host community. If approved, you will be required to take the host language as one of your courses abroad. 

Globe: Be sure to email or schedule an appointment with a study abroad adviser to discuss program eligibility.

How do I petition?

Note: You must apply for both admission into your program and Yale approval to study abroad. These are separate application processes that are completed simultaneously. 

Apply for admission to your intended Non-Yale program:

  • Apply directly to the university or program abroad you would like to attend via their website. 
  • It is your responsibility to ensure all application materials are submitted to your desired program by their deadline. Program application deadlines may be earlier or later than Yale’s application deadline.
  • You do not need to have already secured Yale's approval for study abroad when you apply for admission to your intended program. 

Apply for Yale's approval to study abroad and transfer credit:

  • If you haven't already, review the Year or Term Abroad eligibility requirements.
  • Meet with a study abroad adviser to discuss your intended program and receive confirmation that the program is eligible for a petition.
  • Submit a Year or Term Abroad Petition via the MyCIPE application portal. Note: You do not also need to submit the regular Year or Term Abroad application.
  • You may only petition for one new program per application cycle. As we cannot guarantee that your petition program will be approved, you can list up to 2 back-up programs from the designated list. All of the programs listed in your petition will be reviewed for approval.
  • Late applications cannot be accepted.
  • You do not need to have already been admitted to your intended program before submitting the petition.

What does the petition include?

The Year or Term Abroad Petition consists of:

  • Year or Term Abroad Petition for a Program not on Yale's Designated List: This form includes questions about your intended study abroad program(s) and tentative courses along with a brief personal statement (300-500 words). In addition to listing your first-choice program, you have the option to include up to 2 back-up programs from the designated list. 
  • Credit, Tuition, & Financial Aid Policy Documents: These documents include details about important Yale Study Abroad policies. You will be asked to read through the information and confirm your understanding of the policies. 
  • Yale Academic Record: We will ask you to upload a copy of your Yale Degree Audit.

In addition, as part of your Year or Term Abroad Petition, you will be asked to discuss your plans with your Residential College Dean and Director of Undergraduate Studies (DUS) and to send them forms to complete on your behalf:

  • Residential College Dean’s Form: This form includes questions about your academic standing, progress toward graduation, and preparedness for the study abroad experience.
  • DUS Form: This form includes questions about your ability to complete your major and the possibility of earning major credit abroad. If you do not yet have a major declared, you will need to contact the DUS of the major you are most strongly considering. If you have a double major, contact the DUS from both departments, as you will need to have each DUS complete a form.

Pin: We recommend that you schedule meetings with your Dean and DUS well in advance of the deadline so that we will receive all parts of your application on time.

When are the Yale petition deadlines?

Your Year or Term Abroad petition is due the semester before your intended program starts.  

Spring Term Abroad Petition Opens Petition Deadline
Spring 2023 Term Abroad Petition August 31, 2022 October 11, 2022 @1:00 p.m. Eastern
Fall or Full Year Abroad Petition Opens Petition Deadline
Fall 2023 or Full Year 2023-2024 Abroad Petition January 9, 2023 April 4, 2023 @ 1:00 p.m. Eastern

I'm ready to apply. Where do I access the petition?

Note: Don't forget to also apply to your intended program for admission into the program.