Career Strategy Fellowships Study Abroad Summer Session MyCIPE

Program Types & Structures

You are here

Yale student with local women in a Nepali rice field.

Study Abroad Program Types

There are four types of study abroad programming at Yale. Learn more about each of these below. 

Yale Summer Session Programs Abroad

Yale Summer Session Programs Abroad are courses for which you can earn Yale credit, taught by Yale faculty. There are over 30 programs to choose from, including intensive language study and content courses taught in English. Many programs are open to both Yale and non-Yale students. Use this search tool to learn more about these programs.

Yale in London

Yale in London offers small seminar classes, for which you can earn Yale credit. Courses are offered in both spring and summer, and instructors include Yale University professors and British scholars. Yale in London is administered by our colleagues in the Yale Center for British Art. For more information, please see the Yale in London website.

Global Summer Program (GSP)

The International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU) Global Summer Program offers courses for undergraduate students at ten of the world's leading research-intensive universities. GSP provides intensive, residential summer courses to students from IARU member institutions, which includes Yale. Some courses are eligible for Yale College credit or general Yale transfer credit. GSP is administered by our colleagues in Yale Summer Session. For more information, please click here.

Designated (non-Yale) Programs: Year or Term Abroad & Summer Abroad 

Designated (non-Yale) programs are run by other institutions and are eligible for general Yale transfer credit. You can choose from more than 200 programs in over 50 countries to study for a summer, semester, or full year. Designated (non-Yale) programs allow you to enroll directly into a university, take classes at a center specifically for foreign students, participate in field-based research, or experience a combination of these structures. You can browse all designated (non-Yale) programs in the Search Programs section.  

Tip: Applying vs. Petitioning: What's the Difference? 

  • If you hope to participate on a program already listed on our website, this is either a Yale program or designated (non-Yale) program. To apply, follow the regular application process
  • If you hope to participate on a program that is not listed on our website, you must follow the process to petition for a program not on Yale's designated list. 

Study Abroad Program Structures

Depending on your academic and personal goals for the study abroad experience, you might find that a certain program structure is better suited to your interests. Use the guide below to learn more about these differences as you consider your options. 

  Study-Center Direct Enrollment* Hybrid Field Based
Fellow Classmates Other study abroad and/or international students Host-country students Both study abroad and host-country students Other study abroad and/or international students
Location In a study center classroom which may or may not be near a university Courses at a local university Usually you would take classes both in an off-site study center and at a local university In classrooms or in the field
Academic Culture Similar to US education system; Regular assignments, more frequent exams, seminar-style teaching Learning is often self-directed or independent; Wide variety of classes; Course information may be less accessible prior to arriving; More weight placed on final assessment Offers the chance to experience both study-center and host-country academic culture Experiential, interdisciplinary learning; Taught by a combination of professors, local experts and working professionals
Calendar Usually follows US academic calendar Program follows host-country academic calendar; Semester may begin earlier or later than Yale's Varies Usually follows US academic calendar
On-site Support Usually a high-level of support May be limited; Students are expected to be fairly independent and to be pro-active about asking for assistance Usually a high-level of support is offered by staff from the US study center, but not the university Usually a high-level of support

*If you are interested in directly enrolling, you also have the option to apply through a study abroad provider. This would allow you to attend regular classes with students from the host country, but also receive an additional level of support. Talk with a study abroad adviser for more information about this option.

Internships, Fellowships & Volunteering