Year or Term Abroad | Study Abroad | Yale University
Career Strategy Fellowships Study Abroad Summer Session MyCIPE

Year or Term Abroad

You are here

Passports and Visas

Segment of a blue globe

Check Passport expiration date, secure your visa (if necessary), and photocopy important documents.

Learn More

Pre-departure Requirements

Congratulations on being approved to receive transfer credit for a Year or Term Abroad (YTA) program! Please review carefully the important information below and complete any requirements by the deadlines listed.

At this point, you should have applied to your intended study abroad program and learned of your admission into that program. Your specific study abroad program will provide you with more detailed and country-specific information.

TOC: Pre-departure Requirement Checklist

Important Deadlines

  Date Action
Fall/Full Year Students May 1 Deadline to Submit All Required Forms + View the Online Pre-departure Orientations
Spring Students Dec. 1 Deadline to Submit All Required Forms + View the Online Pre-departure Orientations

Review How Credit Works

You are responsible for understanding Yale's policies for YTA credit transfer and fulfilling requirements abroad.

Link: How Credit Works

If Needed, Request Disability-Related Accommodations Abroad

If you will need accommodations while abroad for a learning or physical disability or a mental health condition, please contact Yale's Office of Student Accessibility Services (SAS) by April 28. If you are not currently registered with Yale's SAS, please register prior to April 28. Yale's SAS and your study abroad adviser will work with you to facilitate necessary accommodations to the extent possible.

Link: Disability-Related Accommodations

Understand Study Abroad Financial Information 

Familiarize yourself with your program costs, payment information, and funding options in order to budget for your experience abroad. As a student on a YTA Program, you pay no tuition to Yale.* If you receive Yale financial aid, please read through the financial aid information for YTA students and make sure to complete your budget sheet by the deadline.

*Balliol College Program: You will be billed Yale tuition and room fees for the upcoming academic year, but will pay food costs directly to Oxford. If you choose to stay on campus during the break between the Hilary and Trinity terms in the spring, you must pay for lodging, which is an additional cost. 

*Università Bocconi Program: You will be billed by Yale for the Bocconi tuition fee. All other costs are paid directly to Bocconi. 

Link: Year or Term Abroad: Costs, Payment Information, and Funding


Ensure You Have a Valid Passport & Visa 


If you do not already have a passport, you should apply for one as soon as possible. If you do have a passport, be sure to check the expiration date. For many countries, your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the last day you plan to be in the country. If your passport expires before that date, you will need to renew it. We recommend that you have a valid passport in your possession at least 3 months prior to your departure date. Please plan accordingly.


Visa requirements vary by host country and country of citizenship. It is your responsibility to determine if you need a visa. If you'll need one, please be aware that you may be required to apply in person and should schedule an appointment with the appropriate embassy as soon as possible. Appointment times fill quickly and you should not put this off until the last minute! 

If you are an international student, make sure your U.S. student visa documents are in order before requesting a visa for your summer study abroad program. You are advised to apply for your program visa while within the United States, if possible, rather than in your home country.

Link: Information and Resources for Passports and Visas

For Balliol College Students: Guidance on Tier 4 Visa

For Università Bocconi Students: Bocconi International Student Desk: Visa Advice

Submit All Required Pre-departure Forms 

Available in your MyCIPE account, required forms are due by May 1 (Fall and Full Year students) or December 1 (Spring students).

View the Mandatory Online Pre-departure Orientations

There are three sections of the online presentation, linked below. It is your responsibility to review all this information in detail no later than May 1 (Fall and Full Year students) or December 1 (Spring students). We recommend that you view the online orientations prior to the in-person Pre-departure Orientation Meeting. Some information will be useful to revisit, either while abroad or when you return, and we encourage you to come back to these presentations at any time.

Link: Travel Documents, Finances, and Forms

Health & Safety: To Dos

Cultural Considerations

Attend the Pre-departure Orientation Meeting

The date, time, and location of this in-person meeting are listed in the approval email that you received from Yale Study Abroad. All YTA students are expected to attend; if you cannot join the meeting due to a class conflict, notify immediately.

Request a Transcript from Your Study Abroad Program 

To transfer your study abroad credit, an official transcript must be sent directly from the sponsoring program/institution to the address below. You are responsible for informing your program of where to send the transcript. 

Yale Study Abroad Address:

Kelly McLaughlin, Director
Study Abroad, Center for International & Professional Experience
Yale University
55 Whitney Ave, 3rd Floor
New Haven, CT 06510

Note: Please note that we cannot accept electronic documents or transcripts delivered to the office by students.

Record Your Travel Plans in the Yale Travel Registry

The Yale Travel Registry is a centralized database that monitors the travel of Yale students, faculty, and staff around the world in order to be able to reach you in the event of an emergency.

Point: Yale Travel Registry

The Yale Travel Registry is part of Yale’s International Toolkit, which provides detailed pre-departure information and steps, including:

  • Obtaining a passport, and if needed, a visa
  • Learning about your safety and security coverage through International SOS
  • Ensuring that you have adequate international health insurance coverage
  • Scheduling a health consultation for any needed vaccinations or medications
  • Knowing what to do in case of an emergency

It is your responsibility to visit the Toolkit well in advance of your study abroad program, and to fulfill any required steps before leaving campus. 

Note: Additional health and safety related information is available on Yale's Study Abroad website. You are responsible for all of the information included in the Health & Safety section. This information is also outlined in the Health and Safety Online Pre-departure Orientation.

Confirm Your Yale Housing

Discuss with your Residential College Dean housing for the semester you will return to campus following your YTA program. Please confirm your housing before you leave for study abroad.

Submit Your Course Schedule Verification Form (Once Abroad)

Once you are abroad, we will ask you to submit a Course Schedule Verification Form, which will be available in your MyCIPE account. The purpose of this form is to confirm that you are enrolled in a full course load and that the courses you take abroad will be eligible for transfer credit.

It is important that you submit this form before the end of your study abroad program's add/drop period. This is so that you will have time to change courses, if necessary.

After reviewing your courses, Yale Study Abroad will send you a confirmation email.