Year or Term Abroad | Study Abroad | Yale University
Career Strategy Fellowships Study Abroad Summer Session MyCIPE

Year or Term Abroad

You are here

Year or Term Abroad Costs and Funding

Program Costs

Programs and universities will post tuition and related costs on their specific websites. We invite you to refer to the Budgeting section for tips on financial planning for study abroad. 

Payment Information

FAQ: Do I pay Yale tuition or fees for the term(s) I am abroad? 

If you study abroad for a summer, semester, or year on a designated (non-Yale) program, you will not pay tuition or fees to Yale for the term you are abroad. You will pay the cost of tuition for your program or university, and any associated fees.

FAQ: How do I pay my study abroad program or university tuition? 

The university or program abroad will bill you for tuition, room and board, as well as any other fees associated with attending. It is your responsibility to pay all program costs directly to the study abroad program or university.

FAQ: I receive Yale financial aid. How will that be applied to my study abroad costs?

  • If you have applied and been approved for the Year or Term Abroad, you are eligible to apply for Yale financial aid. Information about how Yale financial aid applies to designated (non-Yale) program costs is found on the Student Financial Services website
  • If you have applied and been approved for a Summer Abroad, you are eligible to apply for the International Study Award (ISA). The application process and deadlines are found on the ISA website

FAQ: Whom should I contact if I have questions about billing or payments?

All questions regarding your bill should be addressed to the program or university you will attend. If you have a question regarding Yale financial aid for a Year or Term Abroad, please contact Student Financial Services. If you have a question about the International Study Award, please contact

FAQ: I'm attending the Universitá Bocconi-Yale College Economics Exchange Program. What are​ my program's specific tuition and payment policies?

You will be billed by Yale for the Bocconi tuition fee of $5,000. Yale will also enroll in you in medical insurance through UnitedHealthcare Global and that fee will be charged to your student account. Bocconi provides residence hall housing for exchange students and you are responsible for selecting and paying for your own housing, as well as the cost of food, flights, books, and personal expenses. If you receive Yale financial aid, that can be applied to the costs of this program. For general information about Bocconi, review the program page.

FAQ: I'm attending the B​alliol College, Oxford University Junior Year Abroad Program for Yale Englis​h Majors. What are​ my program's specific tuition and payment policies?

You will be billed Yale tuition and room fees set for that academic year, but will pay board directly to Oxford. You also will be charged for, and enrolled in, medical insurance through UnitedHealthcare Global. Students choosing to stay on campus during the break between the Hilary and Trinity terms in the spring must pay for lodging, which is an additional cost. For general information about Balliol, review the program page.

Year or Term Abroad Financial Aid

If you receive Yale financial aid during the academic year, you can apply your Yale financial aid toward the cost of study abroad. All programs that are approved by Yale Study Abroad (including programs on the designated list and successfully petitioned programs) are eligible.

Financial aid recipients are required to complete a study abroad budget with Yale Student Financial Services (SFS). Full details about studying abroad with financial aid are available on the SFS website linked below. Nicole Rothfuss is your primary SFS contact for any questions about using financial aid for study abroad.


Link: Presentation: YTA and Yale Financial Aid (PowerPoint)

Merit-based Funding

Be sure to check the deadlines early!

Outside Scholarships

Student observing the Oriental Pearl Tower in Shanghai, China

You may also want to consider applying for study abroad scholarships through outside organizations. If you'll be attending a Non-Yale program, be sure to check with your study abroad provider to see if they might offer funding opportunities. Keep in mind that external funding application deadlines can be much earlier than those at Yale.

Learn More