Career Strategy Fellowships Study Abroad Summer Session MyCIPE

Passports and Visas

You are here

Important Passport Information

You must have a valid passport in your possession at least 3 months prior to the start date of your study abroad program. If you do not already have a passport, you should apply for one as soon as possible. Please be aware that it can take an average of 6-8 weeks processing time.

If you do have a passport, be sure to check the expiration date. For many countries, your passport must be valid at least 6 months beyond the last day you plan to be in the country. If your passport expires before that date, it must be renewed.

Link: U.S. Passport Application or Renewal

*International students should research passport renewal for their country of citizenship and be aware of how renewal may impact their U.S. student visa.

Do you need a Visa?

Visa requirements vary by host country and country of citizenship. It is your responsibility to determine if you need a visa, and you should contact your program/university abroad for more information. If you will need a visa, begin the application process as soon as you receive the necessary paperwork from your study abroad program/university. DO NOT PUT THIS OFF UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE! The application process for visas can often take longer than anticipated (at least 4 - 6 weeks). The resources linked below can also help you navigate the visa application process.

Link:U.S. Department of State Visa Information

NAFSA: Visas For Education AbroadYale

Travel Management Visa Information

*International Students should meet with OISS advisers to discuss their visa status.

**Information for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Students


Related Resources